Saturday, January 19, 2008

To You My Friend

Thursday is the leaving day.  As yet no news to report (on how I mix up the German word for PLEASE with the word for an unspeakable act, and confusion ensues, etc.). Coming soon.

Till then, 

1. Check out an article written by an extremely sweet guest at the most recent salon, a reporter for the University of Chicago magazine: 

http://uchiblogo.uchicago.edu/

2. Read my Disclaimer:

Gentle reader, I never wanted to be a blogger. I seek, however, to avoid the identification, MASS EMAILER, a loathsome person who writes dissertation chapter-length emails and--by including you on their loathsome list--expects that you will be amused by their detailed nonadventures. My mother, father and I used to note that in films there is never any going to the bathroom, any shopping for extension cords, never any toenail cutting, no problems with the garbage disposal that require a plumber who doesn't speak English, and so on. Why? Films thoughtfully veil from us from ordinary boringness. The MASS EMAILER does the opposite, exposing you to the by no means necessary evils of his daily grind. Tender reader, I promise to shield you from the drudge of the mass email. While in Berlin, this DIARY will contain updates on what's going on in my life and head and you may read however often or seldom as suits you, starting now. (For those in my music department, by blog I do mean FIELD NOTES.) 

3. A dedication to going away:

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

1 comment:

Frogger said...

Yea! In blogs I find that I value not so much what other people are saying, but how they say it, and you have a wonderful voice in your blog already that I really enjoy! So I have subscribed to you and look forward to keeping in touch with you like this.